The story of Eleanora- More needles and more ultrasounds
March 31st, 2015- I was so happy to be able to use some of our airline miles to go visit my little sister Olivia, her husband David, and their sweet 2 year old Vienna at their new home in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago. It was so wonderful, especially because my sister Mindy, her new baby Noah, and her daughter Elesheva were also there visiting. We had such a great sister-time relaxing, talking, and eating junky. Which brings me to my next point...
The day I got home, my midwife called to tell me that I had failed my 1-hour glucose screening test (to check for Gestational Diabetes) by a measly 2 points and would have to go in for a 3-hour glucose tolerance test which involved FOUR BLOOD DRAWS. I absolutely despise needles and feel sick even thinking about it. Because I wanted to get it over with and not have to keep stressing about it, I went in the very next day. I asked Jared to take the day off of work and come with me because I was so anxious about it. I hardly slept at all the night before. I know I'm a huge baby...I can't help it.
Anyway, long story short, my numbers were absolutely horrible and now, in addition to all the other worries pregnancy brings, I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I can't believe it. The percentage of this happening was so low. Sometimes it feels like if something can go wrong, it inevitably happens to me out of all people. I cried the whole day when my midwife called with the results. I still feel like I'm in denial. I'm embarrassed because of the stigma- that people who have diabetes are overweight and don't take care of themselves. I know I'm not perfect, but I've genuinely tried really hard to eat healthy and get exercise. I know that after the whole "ectopic pregnancy" fiasco, I was really nervous so I pushed myself less as far as exercising goes, but still...
I go in tomorrow for a 3-hour informational meeting and to get my blood sugar testing kit. Then next Tuesday I go in for a one-on-one consult where we discuss my specific plan, followed by an ultrasound to make sure Eleanora doesn't already weigh 11 pounds or something crazy.
There was already so much I was worried and stressed about and now there are 1000 more things...and so many more needles. I just have to keep telling myself, "It will all be worth it when she is here." I am almost 30 weeks, so just a few more months of this. I told Jared that I'm not even sure I want to have any more kids after this...It's just all been kind of awful, and I haven't even gone through labor, delivery, and recovery yet!
April 13th, 2015- The informational meeting went really well. I learned a lot about GD that I had no idea about before. It is caused by hormones in the placenta blocking the production of insulin. There is nothing I did to cause it and I couldn't have prevented it. All I can do is manage it. They gave me the blood sugar testing kit. I was so anxious to prick my fingers, but it is really no big deal at all. I usually don't even feel anything.
AND my numbers have been really good. I've been testing 4 times a day for almost 2 weeks and have only had 2 readings that were out of range by just a few points. What this means is that I will probably not have to go on any medication (Insulin or other). They call it "diet controlled" GD, but I really haven't had to even make too many big diet changes. Just snacking more often instead of eating one or two big meals a day, drinking no fruit juice, and less milk. I really don't feel deprived at all! Jared has been super great and supportive about it.
Also, we did the 30 week ultrasound and Eleanora was so cute and smiling. They said they didn't see any abnormalities, she weighed approximately 2lbs 14oz. and was 20th percentile for size. I keep going back and forth between relief that she isn't huge because of the GD and worry that she isn't getting as big and strong as she should be. I guess worrying is my job now, since I'm going to be a mommy soon. :)
The day I got home, my midwife called to tell me that I had failed my 1-hour glucose screening test (to check for Gestational Diabetes) by a measly 2 points and would have to go in for a 3-hour glucose tolerance test which involved FOUR BLOOD DRAWS. I absolutely despise needles and feel sick even thinking about it. Because I wanted to get it over with and not have to keep stressing about it, I went in the very next day. I asked Jared to take the day off of work and come with me because I was so anxious about it. I hardly slept at all the night before. I know I'm a huge baby...I can't help it.
Anyway, long story short, my numbers were absolutely horrible and now, in addition to all the other worries pregnancy brings, I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I can't believe it. The percentage of this happening was so low. Sometimes it feels like if something can go wrong, it inevitably happens to me out of all people. I cried the whole day when my midwife called with the results. I still feel like I'm in denial. I'm embarrassed because of the stigma- that people who have diabetes are overweight and don't take care of themselves. I know I'm not perfect, but I've genuinely tried really hard to eat healthy and get exercise. I know that after the whole "ectopic pregnancy" fiasco, I was really nervous so I pushed myself less as far as exercising goes, but still...
I go in tomorrow for a 3-hour informational meeting and to get my blood sugar testing kit. Then next Tuesday I go in for a one-on-one consult where we discuss my specific plan, followed by an ultrasound to make sure Eleanora doesn't already weigh 11 pounds or something crazy.
![]() | |
| Weeks 9, 19, and 29 |
There was already so much I was worried and stressed about and now there are 1000 more things...and so many more needles. I just have to keep telling myself, "It will all be worth it when she is here." I am almost 30 weeks, so just a few more months of this. I told Jared that I'm not even sure I want to have any more kids after this...It's just all been kind of awful, and I haven't even gone through labor, delivery, and recovery yet!
April 13th, 2015- The informational meeting went really well. I learned a lot about GD that I had no idea about before. It is caused by hormones in the placenta blocking the production of insulin. There is nothing I did to cause it and I couldn't have prevented it. All I can do is manage it. They gave me the blood sugar testing kit. I was so anxious to prick my fingers, but it is really no big deal at all. I usually don't even feel anything.
AND my numbers have been really good. I've been testing 4 times a day for almost 2 weeks and have only had 2 readings that were out of range by just a few points. What this means is that I will probably not have to go on any medication (Insulin or other). They call it "diet controlled" GD, but I really haven't had to even make too many big diet changes. Just snacking more often instead of eating one or two big meals a day, drinking no fruit juice, and less milk. I really don't feel deprived at all! Jared has been super great and supportive about it.
Also, we did the 30 week ultrasound and Eleanora was so cute and smiling. They said they didn't see any abnormalities, she weighed approximately 2lbs 14oz. and was 20th percentile for size. I keep going back and forth between relief that she isn't huge because of the GD and worry that she isn't getting as big and strong as she should be. I guess worrying is my job now, since I'm going to be a mommy soon. :)



Comments
Post a Comment